Thursday, May 11, 2017

McCalls 7537

I fell in love with this pattern when I saw it's release this spring.  I usually stick with indie patterns but I had to make this one!
I initially wanted to make View C with the contrasting waist panels but I couldn't find the right contrasting fabric to go with this loud Liberty print I bought on sale from Craftsy.  I opted instead for View A with the sleeve caps from C instead of the sleeves.  I still want to do the contrasting waistband option at some point. I can't get it out of my head. I love mixing prints.
The fabric is so busy that you can't see all of the great details like the gathered waistband and gathering at the bust.  Those would be easy to showcase in a solid print.  I made two simple changes: 1) I inserted the zipper all the way up to the top of the left side because I find it impossible to put a dress on when there is an inch of fabric sewn together above the zipper.  2) I sewed up about 2 additional inches from the circle listed in the instructions on the front band because it was so low that it bordered on indecent.  It doesn't lay as flat that way, but I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing it if I had only sewn to the circle as instructed. 
The only design feature that gives me pause is the gathering at the middle back above the waistband.  I think I would like a smoother look back there without the gathering to make it look less bulky. 
The sewing is straightforward.  I barely glanced at the instructions because it's pretty easy to see how it all goes together.  

I think this one is worth a try!

5 comments:

  1. This is ADORABLE!!! I love the dress and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! I absolutely love the Liberty print you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous dress. Love the details and gathering and such a lovely fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just jacked off to these pictures

    ReplyDelete